Blade Runner - classic movie review



Blade Runner

Plot: A blade runner must pursue and try to terminate four replicants who stole a ship in space and have returned to Earth to find their creator.
Cast: Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young
Director: Ridley Scott
Certificate: 15 (strong violence)
Runtime: 1hr 57 mins
Release Date: Thursday 9th September 1982


Blade Runner. A seminal, cinematic classic. The inspiration for all sci-fi and other pop culture landmarks that were to follow. A must see for all film fans and cinephiles across the globe. A film, that until a few days ago, I had never seen. I know, I know. Here I am, an aspiring film critic and for this entire time that I've had this blog and considered myself somewhat knowledgeable about critiquing film, I've never seen one of the most influential films ever made. So, with the sequel now in cinemas, it only seemed necessary to see the original. The question was though, what version do I watch? From reading up on the film, Blade Runner seems to be the only movie ever made to have DLC's. What I ended up watching was The Final Cut, the version that the die hard fans recommend. How did I find it? I liked it. It's a good film. A classic though? Unfortunately, I'm not aboard that train.


Piccadilly Circus, eat your heart out.

There is no denying that Blade Runner has elements to it that could lead me to believe that it is this cinematic masterpiece that is held on the most almighty of pedestals but, getting the negatives out of the way first, it's the story that didn't hit me in the manner I had hoped. Ridley Scott has clearly been inspired by film noir, especially the classic crime genre, and this approach is clear to be seen throughout Scott's film. In the theatrical version, it even included the stereotypical narration by the protagonist whom in this case, is Rick Deckard played by the one and only, Harrison Ford who, at the time, was fresh off the success of Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Where I encountered one of Blade Runner's stumbling blocks was the depiction of Deckard. Ford's performance is absolutely fine. He does a great job presenting the sour mood of Deckard as we gather that the doom and gloom of 2019 Los Angeles has clearly taken its toll on him. However, he's still our lead protagonist of the film so we do need to like him as a person. Sadly, I didn't feel the connection to Deckard in fact, I'd go so far as to say that he's incredibly unlikeable. His attitude, personality and behaviour around others do not resemble that of a hero, nor a tragic one at that. Instead, Deckard is so hard to relate to and that's got nothing to do with the up-in-the-air debate as to whether Deckard is a Replicant or not. Truth be told, I felt more compassion and care for Rutger Hauer and his campaign, that of a group a Replicants (androids made in the form of humans who have been made to work as slaves but slowly become self-aware and developed a conscious). Think of it like this. Imagine Star Wars and the character of Han Solo. Now, Han Solo might not be a perfect being and have many personality flaws but when it comes down to it, his heart's in the right place. With Deckard, when he's slamming the door so Rebecca can't leave and then manipulates her into kissing him and sleeping with him, his motivations and morality comes into question. It's because of this and the fact that the script doesn't attempt to give us an insight as to who Deckard is (aside from posing the question for WHAT he is), I'm left emotionally distant from most of the events. To be frank, it was only the visual allure and interest in the ethical questions raised throughout they kept me compelled. The other downside that I feel some fans might not want to admit in public is that if you strip away all of the fancy and ground-breaking visual effects, the glorious score and amazing world building techniques, Blade Runner is a fairly uneventful and by the numbers detective story. It's only the fact that it's set in the future and raises some philosophical questions in the process is why, in my opinion, it's hailed so positively. I'm not afraid to admit that when Deckard is patrolling the streets looking for clues, questioning suspects or saddled with an uninteresting romantic side plot with a Replicant (Rachael played by Sean Young), all of which take up about 65% of Blade Runner, I was fairly bored and trying to find solace where I could.


Toys 'R' Us gets creepy after hours.

FACT: Ridley Scott regards Blade Runner as probably his most personal and complete film.

An estimated guess of mine would be that any Blade Runner fans that watch the film religiously have either closed this review and gone to watch The Final Cut again to cleanse themselves of this blasphemy or are plowing through my initial negativity in the hope that I will eventually get onto my positives. Well, the wait is over because, despite my criticism earlier on, Blade Runner is a very good film that is just shy of being great. I completely understand why it has the following it does and appreciate the level of filmmaking on show. Easily the most enthralling part to Blade Runner, and an aspect that even the most cynical of critics will agree with, are the visual effects. Now, I do know that by watching The Final Cut, it's 2007 release meant that a few effects were touched up and improved, but that doesn't detract from the awe it provides. From the opening shot alone as we soar over Los Angeles in 2019, clouds billowing from towering structures, flames spurting from steampunk looking factories and cars zooming past, anyone watching it is immediately sucked into this world. I can imagine that when Blade Runner landed in 1982, the audiences that saw it in cinemas would have their minds blown. It's still stunning to this day with perfect cinematography and gorgeous visuals on display. I'll admit that whilst the story does nothing for me, nearly every shot had me salivating with joy. The spectacle doesn't stop there though. Ridley Scott, Hampton Fancher and David Webb Peoples have done the unthinkable and created a world solely unique within itself. It has provided the inspiration for nearly every film, both science fiction and non, and that's all to do with the concept and design of, what was then, a look thirty seven years into the future. Despite what has been imagined since then, my jaw still found itself dropping at the sheer scale that has been put on screen.


Harrison, we're going to make a sequel to another one of your classic beloved films. You in?


Then there's the score. Vangelis, a composer who's seemed to disappeared off the beaten track, has crafted a wondrous score that combines evangelical tones with machine-like clangs and bangs. I was only able to watch this on a small screen but I can only imagine the insane pleasure to hear it on a giant cinema screen. Completing my Blade Runner praises is the philosophical aspect to it all. Based on Philip K. Dick's novel of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?", Blade Runner continuously presents topics, questions and hypothetical situations that will make the viewer contemplate. Scott and his terrific team of screenwriters may not have stuck the landing as far as plot is concerned (IN MY OPINION) but where the film shows itself to be the work of art many deem it as, are the queries on topics such as; can humans have relations with Replicants, what does it mean to be human and can something created ever be considered human or will it always be a machine? A lot of these questions are due to Rutger Hauer and his band of renegade Replicants that are looking to confront their maker, the Tyrell Corporation. Hauer gives one of the most emotional and unexpected performances I've seen from him and really makes this film his own. The most iconic scene is the infamous Tear in Rain monologue which many do not know was entirely improvised by Hauer himself. I'm not suggesting anything but it's interesting that the strongest part of the film had nothing to do with the script the actors and crew were working from... And then there's the immortal question as to whether Deckard is a Replicant or not? If my opinion is worth anything, I think that by watching The Final Cut, it's fair to say that he is, what with the unicorn dream and Gaff strategically placing the origami unicorn for Deckard to see at the films conclusion. However, I prefer seeing it as a detective that appears to have a disconnection from humanity and learns, from a group of artificially created machines, what it means to be human.

2017 Los Angeles and 2019 Los Angeles are very similar. 

Is Blade Runner a classic? I'm sure to many it is but for myself, it was a very good film that is exemplified by the astonishing visual effects on show, tremendous score and gigantic world that only a true visionary could be able to muster up the imagination to create, but really struggles in a narrative sense. The lead character is wholly irredeemable and the story failed to grasp my attention. Blade Runner is a technological marvel but as far as everything else about it is concerned, it's a prime example of style over substance.

My Verdict: 7.5/10

What did you think of Blade Runner? What movie's VFX do you think will never age? Sound off in the comments below.

If you like what you've seen here don't forget to share this with everyone you know, comment below and check out my other reviews. Thanks for reading!!

Comments

Popular Posts