Year In Review: Most Anticipated Movies of 2018



Most Anticipated Movies of 2018

2017 was a pretty shit year for most of us. Donald 'Oompa-Loompa' Trump still reigns over America (unfortunately). The Oscars were turned into a farce when an envelope mix-up resulted in the wrong film being announced for Best Picture. But worst of all, violence and unrest spread across the world affecting innocent lives. I'm not often one to get political within these posts but this year, more than any other, the world of entertainment (both film and TV) served as a way for members of the public to escape the constant threats across the world that we seem to be waking up to every morning. And thankfully, film and TV responded by giving us some of the best shows and films we've ever seen. So, in my annual 'Year In Review' I'll be covering the best of the best and the worst of the worst too.

2018 is certain to be a significant year for cinema. Not only are there a goldmine of films to be excited about and anticipate over the coming months but 2018 will be a major milestone for many reasons. The Marvel Cinematic Universe will be celebrating its 10th anniversary and could potentially be celebrating it in style with the highly talked about, Avengers: Infinity War. Also, as a benefit of living in the UK, the dreaded January that so many Americans have to suffer where studios usually drop the garbage off and push it under the rug, never seems to affect us Britains. Instead, we get a sprinkle of some award calibre films that will be discussed during Oscar season. Films such as The Shape Of Water, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri and Darkest Hour are all due for release within the space of a few months which makes for a very exciting prospect. This list may also have some surprises as I like to give a few movies a chance that many of you might not have heard of. Additionally, seeing as there are so many films coming out in 2018 that are filled with amazing potential, instead of my regular Top 10, I have formulated a Top 20. A word of caution though; I have done as much research as I can as to the movie releases in 2018 but there might have been a few that got past my gaze yet could possibly appear on my Best list at the end of the year. Baby Driver was nowhere to be found on last year's Anticipated List yet made my number two spot in my Best of 2017. Finally, there are a couple of honourable mentions that just missed out but that shouldn't detract from my anticipation of them too much. Pacific Rim: Uprising is the sequel to the entertaining Pacific Rim and thankfully, still looks to have retained the sense of fun and carnage that made the first so enjoyable. I'm also looking forward to X-Men: Dark Phoenix as this could possibly be the telling of the Dark Phoenix saga we've been asking for. My only worry is that X-Men: Apocalypse did not land the way I had hoped so fingers crossed that this series has learnt from its mistakes. Just missing out on my list is Bohemian Rhapsody, the biopic about Queen frontman; Freddie Mercury and also Phantom Thread directed by Paul Thomas Anderson and reportedly featuring the final performance of the greatest actor of all time, Daniel Day-Lewis. So, with the formalities out of the way, here are my Most Anticipated Movies of 2018...



20. Mowgli



After seeing what Jon Favreau was able to conjure up with his adaptation, the prospect of Andy Serkis making his own version of The Jungle Book with his technical wizardry and sensational cast is more than exciting. Just imagining stars such as Christian Bale, Benedict Cumberbatch and Cate Blanchett donning the spandex with baubles to bring these jungle animals to life is enough the raise my excitement levels.

Mowgli is due to be released on October 18th 2018.



19. Holmes & Watson



I like to throw a wildcard choice in now and again and this is exactly that. Etan Cohen hasn't yet proved himself to me as a director but the idea of Ferrell and Reilly parodying this iconic pair sounds great. Cohen's previous venture with Get Hard was a considerable misfire but I'm hoping that the phenomenal comedic chemistry between these two stars will help propel Holmes & Watson forward.

Holmes & Watson is due to be released on November 9th 2018.



18. Isle Of Dogs



Wes Anderson + Stop-motion + a star-studded cast = a recipe for delight. Judging from the trailers, Anderson seems to have hit a home run with a quirky looking and heartfelt tale about a boy and his dog(s). What I love about Anderson's work is that it's far from mundane and for a film buff like myself, the sheer dedication he possesses to the art of filmmaking is always a joy to witness.

Isle Of Dogs is due to be released on March 30th 2018.



17. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindelwald



J.K. Rowling's first trip into the expanded Harry Potter universe was a huge success so I look forward to seeing where this new story takes us as well as seeing some familiar faces return. Particularly, I'm interested to see the relationship between Johnny Depp's Grindelwald and Jude Law's Dumbledore and whether the two actors' dichotomy will thrive within this magical world.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindelwald is due to be released on November 16th 2018.



16. Ralph Breaks The Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2



When Wreck-It Ralph debuted a few years ago,it was one of my favourite films of that year. Now, with the promise of expanding into the internet and a meta-humour stance in the sequel, I'm pumped to see it. Judging by the footage shown at D23, a particular highlight seems to be Penelope interacting with Disney princesses whilst C-3PO intervenes as their butler.

Ralph Breaks The Internet: Wreck It Ralph 2 is due to be released on November 30th 2018.



15. Ant-Man & The Wasp



Having loved the first, I am brimming with enthusiasm that Peyton Reed, Paul Rudd and Evangeline Lilly will bring the thrills and laughs in a (hopefully) entertaining and fun sequel. And then, if that explanation wasn't already compelling enough, Reed seems to have flexed his comic book muscles by including some deep cuts within the Ant-Man lore.

Ant-Man & The Wasp is due to be released on August 3rd 2018.



14. Mary Poppins Returns



I was initially sceptical about this film but the more I think about it, read up on the talent involved both in front and behind the camera, and see the promotional images, the more I think Disney could be onto a winner. Emily Blunt appears to have stepped into the shoes left by the remarkable Julie Andrews, with ease and the fresh additions of Lin Manuel-Miranda and Meryl Streep are sure to get any musical fan's hearts fluttering.

Mary Poppins Returns is due to be released on December 21st 2018.



13. Coco



Simply hearing the response of Pixar's latest smash has received over in the US, is enough to put this on my list but the trailers make it seem like the film transports you to a magical world and will tug on your heartstrings which means it most definitely earns a spot on this list. Some may think the plot of Coco is too similar to The Book Of Life from a couple of years ago but I would wager that Pixar has created a very unique take on the Dia Del Muertos (Day of the Dead).

Coco is due to be released on January 19th 2018.



12. M:I 6 - Mission Impossible



Every installment in the MI franchise seems to have gone from strength to strength so logic points to the sixth entry exceeding expectations. Here's hoping they deliver on the villain this time though and also provide a suitable explanation as to why Henry Cavill couldn't shave his damn moustache. Also, you know half of the general public are going to see this just to know what crazy stunt Tom Cruise is going to do next.

M:I 6 - Mission Impossible is due to be released on July 27th 2018.



11. Venom



Admittedly, Sony has not had the best track record with their superhero movies however, with the inclusion of the incredible Tom Hardy and a potential to go for an R-rating, Venom might pull something great out of the bag. It'll also be a refreshing take on the genre by focusing on a character that isn't there to save the day or rather, destroy it.

Venom is due to be released on October 5th 2018.



10. Solo: A Star Wars Story



This would have been higher up on my list if it wasn't for the production troubles due to the firing of the original director and the subsequent replacement and extensive reshoots plus the lack of promotional material released but it's a Star Wars movie and until the novelty wears off, I'll always be excited. Maybe this could overcome the bad press and prove to the naysayers that a Han Solo spin-off movie was a great idea all along.

Solo: A Star Wars Story is due to be released on May 25th 2018.



9. Aquaman



Following on from the promise he showed in Justice League, my anticipation for James Wan's Aquaman is through the roof. The potential of Atlantis could be unlike anything we've ever seen in cinema. I'd have preferred this film to come out before Justice League to provide a bit of context to Aquaman and his world but I'm sure this will still do it justice.

Aquaman is due to be released on December 21st 2018.



8. The Predator



Having loved this series (even through its lowest moments), my anticipation is sky high as Shane Black taking over as the director is a perfect decision. Let's hope he brings the stylised action and dialogue too. Reports suggests that Black is spinning a new angle on the franchise by setting the chaos within an urban setting and I'm all for that. I'm still betting on an Arnold Schwarzenegger cameo though.

The Predator is due to be released on August 3rd 2018.



7. The Shape Of Water



Every year I like to pick a film that seems to be making the waves during awards seasons and this year, my pick is the gothic monster romance by Guillermo Del Toro. Everything I've seen from this oozes beauty and heart and I cannot wait. Reviews suggest that Del Toro has exceeded his work of Pan's Labyrinth and if that's even the slightest bit true, then we're in for something special.

The Shape Of Water is due to be released on February 14th 2018.



6. The New Mutants



So you're telling me that an X-Men movie is going to take a dark and sinister horror route starring some of the most talented up-and-comers today? Oh I'm in. Oh I'm so in. Basing my thoughts upon the sole trailer, The New Mutants could potentially be the riskiest take on the genre since Logan and I adore the fact that Fox seems to be letting their directors making the film they want rather than pressuring them into a bigger, overarching story to connect with other films.

The New Mutants is due to be released on April 11th 2018.



5. Black Panther



Sweet Baby Jesus, this better be good. With Ryan Coogler at the helm and the sensational cast all around, I'm willing to bet my entire student loan that this will be nothing short of incredible. Don't let me down, Coogler. If the trailers, posters, clips, TV spots and literally any morsel of footage are to go by, then Black Panther might be one of Marvel's biggest hits.

Black Panther is due to be released on February 12th 2018.



4. Ready Player One



Steven Spielberg seems to have made every nerd's wet dream. So far, I haven't seen a single problem to make me doubt the quality of this film. Consider me eagerly counting down the days until I'm there on opening night. I never knew I wanted to see the Iron Giant share the screen with the likes of Ninja Turtles, the Back To The Future DeLorean and Freddy Krueger until I saw the stupendous footage.

Ready Player One is due to be released on March 30th 2018.



3. Untitled Deadpool Sequel (I honestly think this is the actual title)


Can June 1st come any sooner? I'm not sure which I'm more looking forward to; this Deadpool sequel or its promotional campaign. Either way, Ryan Reynolds donning the red spandex is enough to make me happy. I'm also fascinated to see the pairing between Reynolds and Josh Brolin's Cable that is sure to provide some of the film's best laughs.

Untitled Deadpool Sequel is due to be released on June 1st 2018.



2. Avengers: Infinity War



Who isn't hyped about this? The MCU has been building to this for ten years and now we're treated to the culmination. To put things into perspective; I think I watched this trailer more times than any other. Out of everything to be excited for, this is definitely going to be the biggest movie of the year and, so long as it lives up to the hype, rightly so.

Avengers: Infinity War is due to be released on April 27th 2018.



And my number one most anticipated movie of 2018 is...



1. Incredibles 2



14 years I've waited. 14 YEARS!! No joke, if there is only one seat left in the cinema and it's between me and a small child, I'm pushing the kid out of the way. Every ounce of my body is prepared for this. From when we left off with The Underminer emerging from the ground and seeing the Parr family ready to fight, I have been waiting for this specific film for near enough my entire life. THAT is why Incredibles 2 takes my top spot.

Incredibles 2 is due to be released on July 13th 2018.



And that's it. 2017 is officially over. Here's to 2018. May it be less shit than last year.

If you like what you've seen here don't forget to share this with everyone you know, comment below and check out my other reviews. Also, make sure you follow me on Twitter @LukeStapley1. Thanks for reading!!

Comments

Popular Posts