Room - movie review



Room

Plot: Five-year-old Jack and his mother escape from the enclosed surroundings that Jack has known his entire life, the boy makes a thrilling discovery.

Cast: Brie Larson, Jacob Tremblay, Sean Bridgers
Director: Lenny Abrahamson
Rating: 15
Release Date: Friday 15th January 2016

My experience before watching Room was slightly mixed. From viewing the trailers I was worried that they had spoiled a major turning point in the movie and from that point onwards, it may
lose steam. And I can now say that I was entirely incorrect. Room is just shy of perfection. Beginning in the confines of this room, we as an audience are captivated from the outset as we explore the relationship between Ma/Joy (Larson) and Jack (Tremblay). It is then explained that Ma has been kidnapped and living in the room for 7 years and Jack, who is 5 only believes that 'room' is his entire world, that behind the walls and door, there is nothing but space. After a series of tense events, Jack becomes exposed to the outer world and we begin on a journey of self discovery and child-like wonder.



If I were to praise this movie with justice, the first topic of conversation would have to be the performances especially from the two leads. Both Larson and Tremblay give two of the best performances I have seen in some time. Huge praise must go to Jacob Tremblay who has easily earned the title of best child performance in a movie. His depiction of Jack floored me and easily stole the show in most scenes. His age and lack of experience never seemed a concern and his character just oozed likeability. It just seems such a shame that he has been overlooked for this years Oscars. But Brie Larson cannot be missed either. I would pretty much guarantee on her winning the Oscar for her role as she is simply spellbinding. The torment that her character consistently goes through is heartbreaking and that is conveyed in her performance. Her chemistry with Tremblay is undeniable and sparks of her magnificence begin to fly when the plot really kicks into gear after escaping the room. In regards to the supporting characters, Sean Bridges as the captor was good but his performance didn't blow me away like others. Joan Allen as the mother/grandmother was very good to watch and she managed to elevate some moments which may have dragged the movie. William H. Macy for me, seemed a little underdeveloped. His performance was absolutely fine and I found no faults, I just felt that his character wasn't written all too well and I found myself disappointed in the direction that his character went.




Whilst the performances may have been sublime, they wouldn't have been as half as effective if the story had problems. Thankfully, with it written by the author of the book, Emma Donoghue, the film stays entertaining throughout and maintains a constant emotional connection. I found myself forming an almost instantaneous bond with the characters due to the clever and ingenious writing. The emotion is also unparalleled and unrelenting. Whether it be sadness or pure joy or even a combination of both some of the time, this movie will tug at the heartstrings due to it's incredibly powerful message behind and how certain themes are dealt with including circumstances involving Stockholm syndrome and the belief of experiencing changes and new things. The latter of these themes is most prominent in the story of Jack which I found to be the most effective. In regards to the technical aspects to the film, firstly, the movie looks beautiful. Cinematographer Danny Cohen does the impressive technique of allowing a shot to linger and stay for a long period time without unnecessary edits and cuts. There are also moments within the room where I found myself questioning how some scenes were even filmed considering the confined nature of the room itself.


However, as aforementioned, the film was just shy of perfection meaning that there were some things I wished were improved. As noted before, I thought William H. Macy's character was disappointingly written. I think the same can be said regarding the final few moments of the film and some things felt rushed to make a conclusion. I also found that the score was forgettable and at times, disarming especially during some intense and emotional scenes which may have had more of an impact if it were silent.



But on the whole, this movie is a sensation and demands your viewing. The story is unique, original and the performances are simply some of the best that have graced the screen. Seriously, Jacob Tremblay is Hollywood's next big thing and I hope that he gets the recognition he deserves.

My Verdict: 9.5/10
What did you think of Room? Post your comments below.

If you like what you've seen here, don't forget to share this post, comment below and check out my other reviews. Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts