Incredibles 2 - movie review



Incredibles 2

Plot: Bob Parr (Mr. Incredible) is left to care for the kids while Helen (Elastigirl) is out saving the world.
Cast: Craig T. Nelson, Holly Hunter, Sarah Vowell
Director: Brad Bird
Certificate: PG (mild bad language, violence)
Runtime: 1hr 58 mins
Release Date: Friday 13th July 2018


Fourteen years ago, Brad Bird and Pixar made my favourite animated movie of all time. The Incredibles defined my childhood. It was the first film I saw more than once in a cinema and when it was released on DVD, I had saved up my pocket money and went out after school and bought it. That afternoon, I think I continued to watch it back to back until either my parents dragged me away from the TV, or it was time to go to bed. When people ask me what my favourite movies are, The Incredibles is always in the discussion. Ever since The Underminer rose from beneath and the Parr family were ready and raring to go, I have been on my knees pleading for a sequel. And now, after an insultingly long wait, Incredibles 2 is finally here...


Superspeed. Brilliant for drying hands.

The big question that everyone is asking is; "Was Incredibles 2 worth the wait?" AB. SO. LUTELY. From the moment the Disney castle appears to the culmination of the 'Incredits', Incredibles 2 provided me with sheer, unadulterated and unbridled joy. It was my most anticipated movie of 2018 and it didn't disappoint. It's certainly not a perfect movie but I can't think of a film this year that filled my heart with such jubilation. Incredibles 2 picks up exactly where Brad Bird left things as the Parr family take on The Underminer. After the explosive battle, the family are forced back into hiding due to the superhero regulation still in effect. However, in an effort to combat this law, a wealthy tycoon (Bob Odenkirk) and his sister (Catherine Keener) reach out to Mr. Incredible, Elastigirl and Frozone to spearhead a campaign. Elastigirl is the prime candidate which leaves Bob to stay at home and handle family life with Violet, Dash and Jack-Jack. Getting the miniscule negatives out of the way as soon as possible, the villain of Incredibles 2 is a bit of a let down. Whereas we had Syndrome in the first film who possessed a fascinating personality and serious motivations, Incredibles 2 brings in The Screenslaver who hypnotises citizens through screens. Unfortunately, they're just not as captivating to watch due to a generic plan and basic motives. Screenslaver also suffers from a blatant attempt to shroud their identity in secret to the point where Bird creates a mystery over their true persona. However, the real identity is so obvious to anyone with a pulse that it gradually begins to grate on you as the mystery keeps on going and going and going. The two hour runtime does also drag a little but as soon as I began to notice the pace slowing, it began to pick right up again. Fortunately, those negatives are mostly excusable as soon as Michael Giacchino's tremendous score kicks in and the words 'INCREDIBLES 2' spins around. I'm not lying when I say that it did bring a nostalgic tear to my eye.
Superbaby sneezes are terrifying.


FACT: At 1 hour and 58 minutes, Incredibles 2 is not only the longest Pixar Animation Studios film to date, but also the longest computer-animated feature film to date.

The story of Incredibles 2 is a lot more contained and character driven. There's no exotic island. No Omnidroids in sight. Instead, Brad Bird gives us runaway trains, rogue helicopters and a finale set on a luxurious yacht. But even that's only a small portion of the film. Whilst Elastigirl is out saving the day, Mr. Incredible is stuck at home forced to raise the children by himself. Bird has always had a knack for transposing family dynamics but he outdoes himself this time round. Watching Elastigirl swing from building to building and defeat criminals was entertaining but the true heart and enjoyment comes from Bob trying to help Dash with math homework, care for Violet's broken heart and deal with Jack-Jack's newly discovered array of powers. Bird also weaves in some great social commentary on gender politics and the essence of pride from men. Craig T. Nelson does a sensational job as he returns to voice Mr. Incredible, as does Holly Hunter as Elastigirl. Even Frozone gets a little more to do which means more Samuel L. Jackson and that's never a bad thing. However, there is one character that steals the entire show from everybody and that's Jack-Jack. I cannot tell you how many times I felt like I was going to crack a rib from laughing at Jack-Jack's developing powers. Speaking of powers, this is one of the first superhero films in which a director has explicitly used each superhero's characteristics and powers consistently in each action scene. In fact, the action is so beautifully animated and designed, that you could mistake them for a live action sequence. These sequences are then bolstered by the incredible (wink, wink) score by Michael Giacchino who, once again, fuses the swinging jazz you'd usually find in 60s crime caper movies with a traditional score. Be sure to stick around during the credits to hear a surprise selection of songs centered on Elastigirl, Mr. Incredible and Frozone. Also, as is the case with most Disney and Pixar films nowadays, there is a short film proceeding Incredibles 2 called Bao. It's a stunning short about a woman who cares for a baby dumpling and it is one of the most emotional stories I've seen all year. It's a very bold short by Pixar but I feel that if you can buy into it, then it will definitely tug on your heartstrings.


Still not as bad as the London Underground.

Incredibles 2 is everything I wanted and more. The elation I experienced from start to finish reminded me of my childhood days and filled me with complete bliss. Brad Bird hasn't missed a step with the way in which he writes these characters and in this sequel, gives them even more depth and personal challenges for them to overcome. It's a smaller film than the first but that's ok because we get a significant amount of development instead. Jack-Jack may also be the highlight of 2018 so far.

My Verdict: 9.5/10

What did you think of Incredibles 2? What is your favourite Pixar sequel? Sound off in the comments below.

If you like what you've seen here don't forget to share this with everyone you know, comment below and check out my other reviews. Thanks for reading!!

Follow the official Luke's Reviews Facebook page: fb.me/LukeStapley26
Follow me on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/LukeStapley1

Comments

Popular Posts