Bad Moms - movie review



Bad Moms

Plot: When three overworked and under-appreciated moms are pushed beyond their limits, they ditch their conventional responsibilities for a jolt of long overdue freedom, fun, and comedic self-indulgence.
Cast: Mila Kunis, Kathryn Hahn, Kristen Bell
Directors: Jon Lucas & Scott Moore
Rating: 15 (strong language, sex references, nudity, substance abuse)
Runtime: 1hr 40 mins
Release Date: Friday 26th August 2016


"Well he never gets fully hard. So I have to kinda fold his penis up like a balloon animal and shove it up my vagina." Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you... Bad Moms. From the deeply disturbing minds of all three Hangover films comes a take on what school mums would act like if they let their hair down more often. How does it all turn out? Chaos. Absolute chaos. Really destructive, catastrophic, devastating amusing chaos.



Shut up Meg. Yes, Mila Kunis headlines Bad Moms as Amy Mitchell, a mother who after splitting with her husband, is struggling with day to day life. She has to try and balance taking the kids to school, working, attending PTA meetings (these seem like hell. I'd honestly rather invite Freddy Kruger into my dreams than attend any of these) and watch her daughter's football matches. Amy then just decides to stop all of that and have fun with life. Kunis is a very charismatic lead and manages to carry this film along with her fantastic fellow cast members. I didn't think she nailed every joke and her character was pretty one note with nothing that special about her but she had fun in the role and the audience will likely have fun with her. When Amy decides to let loose, she is joined by Kiki (Kristen Bell) who has serious social problems and is also an overworked mum, and Carla (Kathryn Hahn) who will have sex with anyone she sets eyes on. I do mean anyone. Bell and Hahn are hands down the greatest thing in Bad Moms. All three actresses have good chemistry but these two just clicked. Bell is awkward and odd spouting these wild and freaky fantasies she has like being in a medium level car crash so she can be pampered at a hospital. As for Hahn, I was deeply worried that Carla was going to get on my nerves and really drag this movie down. As I often am, I was wrong and Hahn gave me and most of the audience a huge chunk of the laughs. She's foul-mouthed, has no filter and reminds me of Alan from The Hangover films if he had more confidence and, you know, boobs. If I had to pick one over the other, I think Bell surprised me more because the style of comedy they give her character is so bizarre, it appeals to my messed up sense of humour however Hahn could have really found her launching point. 
I wouldn't be surprised if we see her more in popular films and larger roles. Going back to those suicidal PTA meetings that seemingly last for a year, the head of that group and her lackeys are the foils to Amy and her gang. Amy clashes with Gwendolyn played devilishly by Christina Applegate who cements herself as not just my favourite female comedian but now, one of my favourite comedians ever. Gwendolyn and her skivvies reminded me of Regina George and the other Mean Girls except they grew up and became even more horrible. Honestly, Gwendolyn is a biatch. Obviously, Applegate's just playing a very exuberant character but if anyone is reading this thinking they know a mother just like that, do us all a favour and get her sectioned. Jada Pinkett Smith is one of Applegate's followers and she doesn't have an incredibly extensive role but she does have a couple of good crackers. Even Jay Hernandez makes an appearance as the new love interest for Mila Kunis. So he's gone from starring in Suicide Squad as Diablo to being in Mila Kunis. Literally. Guy's on a winning streak.




I'm going to be frank; I thought Bad Moms was going to suck. I was expecting it to be unfunny and just painful. The trailers did nothing for me and not a single thing about it appealed to me. Now, I will say that the trailers don't show a great depiction of the film however, I can't say that this was that great of a film. It's fine. It gave me a good selection of laughs, a couple from the belly but nothing hysterical. Bad Moms is a very raunchy comedy and I didn't expect that to begin with. Clearly it was given a 15 for a reason but I thought it would just be mild mannered with a couple of f-bombs dropped in. This film ain't for kids so a mother-daughter bonding experience might just be very awkward. For those of you that know me, I am not a mother so there were certain beats that just didn't have any impact on me but I've heard from others that have seen the film and have been in similar situations, that it gave a good depiction of the struggle mums (especially single mums) could face. The message does get a little muddled as the movie goes on. We have the dictatorship of Gwendolyn who wants to control everything but then Amy wants practically no responsibility so there's never a balance in between. It goes from one extreme to another without any middle ground. Furthermore, the opening twenty minutes or so were dreadful and I sat thinking to myself 'I knew it! I was right all along.' But it's when Amy rebels and joins forces with Kiki and Carla that Bad Moms found what it wanted to be; a basic, humourous if slightly forgettable comedy.




Look, I'm not swinging from the rafters screaming about how Bad Moms is the comedy of the year because it just isn't. I laughed more than I thought I would but then I wasn't expecting to laugh at all. Bell and Hahn are the stars of the film and if there's one thing I've learnt; respect the work your mother does... otherwise she'll turn into a raving alcoholic and running away seems like the best option.

My Verdict: 6/10

What did you think of Bad Moms? Who is the most irresponsible movie mother? Post your comments below.

If you like what you've seen here don't forget to share this post, comment below and check out my other reviews.

Comments

Popular Posts